Last year, we took SMMC Rescue Units to the Emergency Services Day at The Helix in Falkirk and we had great fun talking about motorsport and explaining the role of rescue and other specialist marshals.
This year, we're attending a few events to promote SMMC and interest in motorsport in general. Please come and say hi if you’re coming to any of these events, and encourage friends, family and colleagues to visit too.
Greenpower Education Challenge
Friday 29th March
Teams of students aged 9 to 25 are taking the Greenpower Challenge – to design and build an electric car to race. They are supplied with an appropriate kit which can be built in school, college or elsewhere and raced at motorsport venues around the country.
- More info: https://www.smmc.org.uk/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=49
- Venue: East Fortune Race Circuit, East Lothian, EH39 5JX
- Time: 7.30am to 5.30pm
Emergency Services Day
Wednesday 3rd April
This family friendly event is completely free of charge and has something to interest everyone! They also have a sensory hour between 3pm and 4pm (where no sirens, flashing lights or other loud noises will be used ) so that everyone can come down to the park and enjoy.
- More info: http://www.thehelix.co.uk/all-events/emergency-services-day
- Venue: The Helix, Home of The Kelpies, Falkirk, FK2 7ZT (directions)
- Time: 10am to 4pm
Institute of Advanced Motorists, Fife Group
Thursday 11th April
The main aim of the Kingdom of Fife Group (KOFG) of Advanced Motorists is to improve driving standards and road safety. They hold regular meetings for members and those interested in advanced motoring. We're talking about SMMC and the role that motorsport has played in developing car safety.
- More info: http://www.kofgiam.org.uk
- Venue: Lochgelly High School, Station Road, Lochgelly, KY5 8LZ
- Time: 7pm to 8pm
Emergency Services Family Event
Sunday 29th April
A great day out for all the family. Come and explore lots of amazing things. Free to attend - pop along on the day or register for a ticket for a chance to win a prize! Craft stalls, foodies and activities also available for all ages.
- More info: www.facebook.com
- Venue: Pitteuchar West Primary School, Inveraray Avenue, Glenrothes, KY7 4QL
- Time: 12 noon to 3.00pm
You might have heard about STEM actives in schools. STEM is a curriculum based on the idea of educating students in four specific disciplines - science, technology, engineering and maths - in an interdisciplinary and applied approach.
Motorsport links to STEM in many ways. We are working on a wide range of resources for teachers, home educators, parents and children. More information here.
We also have a STEM Ambassador who can visit your group or school to talk about the different ways that motorsport is impacted by science, technology, engineering and maths. Examples include:
- the mechanics and hydraulics of our rescue equipment
- how speed and forces of gravity can affect the mechanism of injury
- how topography affects radio signals
- ...and much more!