Information for Event Organisers
Scottish Motorsport Marshals Club (SMMC) is the only Club in Scotland that is dedicated to all four-wheel motorsport disciplines.
We have been providing marshalling and other safety services to motorsport events for nearly 50 years.
We are a registered charity and our volunteer membership has evolved into two main specialist areas - safety radio marshals, and rescue and extrication teams.
Regardless of our individual interests, we all have a common desire to provide a high-quality service to improve the safety of competitors, officials and spectators.
We can support you with...
- Our Motorsport Radio Group (MRG) provides a safety communications service to motorsport events.
- For Single or Multi-venue events we can provide:
- Communications Officer – coordination and allocation of radio crews on your behalf
- Motorsport UK Licensed Controllers
- Motorsport UK Registered Radio Operators
- We can also provide radio cover for media / shakedown days ahead of the actual event.
- We are licensed and authorised to use all the approved Motorsport UK safety and medical radio frequencies.
- Download more information
- We operate three specialist Motorsport Rescue Units - all fully licensed by Motorsport UK - which provide emergency medical and extrication cover at motorsport events.
- All members of our volunteer rescue team are fully licensed by Motorsport UK.
- All rescue licence holders have undergone disclosure/criminal record checks via the Protecting Vulnerable Groups Scheme (PVG Scheme) provided by Disclosure Scotland and can do regulated work with both children and protected adults.
- We have an induction, training and CPD framework for the team which far exceeds the requirements of Motorsport UK.
- The Rescue Units can be booked independently of the Medics and/or Stage Safety Unit, or we can offer you a complete and comprehensive motor sports safety package.
- Download more information
- We have two HCPC registered paramedics on the team, and they can support your event with us or independently – payment for medical services will be agreed directly with them. They both have frontline NHS experience and come with all the necessary equipment in line with their scope of practice, for example: advanced life support and in-depth monitoring equipment such as 12-lead ECG.
- We also have a Medical Response Unit to enhance the provision of care. The vehicle is fully equipped to an advanced life support level (if crewed by a paramedic or doctor).
- The Medics can be booked independently of the Rescue Units, or we can offer you a complete and comprehensive motor sports safety package.
- We have a Medical Response Unit to enhance the provision of care. The vehicle is a Skoda Octavia Scout 4x4 estate car and is fully equipped to an advanced life support level (if crewed by a paramedic or doctor).
- It can also operate as a Rally Stage Safety Unit, providing mid-stage medical and extrication cover.
- The Medical Response Unit can be booked independently of the Rescue Units, or we can offer you a complete and comprehensive motor sports safety package.
- Our Skoda Octavia Scout 4x4 estate car is fully licensed by Motorsport UK as a Stage Safety Unit, providing mid-stage medical and extrication cover on rallies.
- The Stage Safety Unit can be booked independently of the Rescue Units, or we can offer you a complete and comprehensive motor sports safety package.
- SMMC is the only Club in Scotland that is dedicated to marshalling in all four-wheel motorsport disciplines.
- We can help you find marshals who can assist you with the safe and effective running of your event:
- we can promote your event via our website and social media channels.
- we can circulate details of your event by email direct to our membership (and beyond).
- We encourage all our members to be Registered Marshals with Motorsport UK. This helps to ensure that all marshals have a common understanding of their roles and responsibilities, the management of spectators, and how to handle an incident.
- We provide administrative and technical support for the regional training programme run by Scottish Association of Motor Sports Clubs.
- We have members who are licensed Clerks of the Course for many disciplines, Stewards, Safety Car Drivers, and Training Instructors.
For more information, or to make a booking, please contact:
- Guidance on running events safely (HSE)
- Managing health and safety at motorsport events - a guide for motorsport event organisers (HSE, HSG112 Second edition, 2016)
- Working with Landowners (Motorsport UK)
- Route Authorisation and legislation (Motorsport UK)
- Route Authorisation Resource Centre (Motorsport UK)