SMMC News

Andrew Cowan: a celebration

Picture of Rod Howat
Andrew Cowan: a celebration
by Rod Howat - Saturday, 22 February 2020, 10:14 AM

Several members of Scottish Motorsport Marshals Club attended the memorial service for Club President Andrew Cowan on Saturday 1st February. The Club was represented by Directors Rod Howat, Garry Headridge and Mike Gascoigne along with a number of members. Andrew was President of SMMC from its beginning in 1973, and will be sorely missed.

Several members of Scottish Motorsport Marshals Club attended the memorial service for Club President Andrew Cowan on Saturday 1st February.

The Club was represented by Directors Rod Howat, Garry Headridge and Mike Gascoigne along with a number of members.

People from all over the world came to Duns to celebrate Andrew's life, including an old friend of Andrew's who came on a 3-day trip from Australia!

As Bob Baillie from the Veterans of Scottish Motorsport Association wrote, "From the minute we arrived in Duns it was obvious that the whole event was being managed to the standard of a World Rally Team.

"It was a remarkable celebration of Andrew's life including film of some of his rallying shown on large screens within the church. There were eulogies from people from all aspects of Andrew's very full life including rallying, running a World Rally Team, shooting and fishing and his extended family. There were also tributes from the former chief of Mitsubishi and Tommi Mäkinen.

"The Jim Clark Museum was open all day with Andrew's London to Sydney Rally Hillman Hunter and a Mitsubishi rally car on display."

Andrew's wife, Linda, sent a note of her appreciation:

I would like to take this opportunity to thank all of you who made the journey through to Andrew's Memorial Service last Saturday. It was so warming and comforting to me to have you all there and it was very much appreciated. It was great to see so many faces from the past and I look forward to catching up with you all in the near future.

We raised over £2,000 for charity at the church collection and a further £2,170 so far in personal donations since the Memorial Service taking our total to over £10,000. I plan to keep this going for the rest of the year with fundraising events throughout.

My beloved Andrew was a truly amazing man and the wonderful memories he has left us with will live on through us.

Linda Cowan

The charity to which Linda refers is the Borders General Hospital official charity 'The Difference' which provides those added extras over and above what is already provided by the NHS. This hospital cared for Andrew during his final years.

Scottish Motorsport Marshals Club was pleased to contribute to this excellent cause in remembrance of our late President. Andrew was President of SMMC from its beginning in 1973, and will be sorely missed.