SMMC News

Good wishes for the festive period!

Picture of Nick Clarke
Good wishes for the festive period!
by Nick Clarke - Thursday, 12 December 2019, 2:03 PM

Festive greetings from SMMC Chair Nick Clarke.

With Christmas now rapidly approaching I thought I should make contact on behalf of all the Directors of SMMC to wish you good luck and peace over this festive period. I'm sure many of you like myself are always pleased to see this period eventually fall behind us as we eagerly wait once again for longer days and the hope of another good year of Motorsport in whatever disciplines we particularly enjoy.

It's been a busy three months for our Club Members officiating at high profile events such as Wales Rally GB, the Isle of Mull Rally, the BTCC Race Meeting at Knockhill, the Jim Clark Rally, and the Roger Albert Clark Rally as well as at various more local events. It was also good to see the new Club gazebo out in Duns Town Centre and the positive press reporting on Cadet Marshal Katie Moffatt all tied in to the Jim Clark event. My thanks once again to all Members for their support of all of these and various other occasions. Without your efforts these events wouldn't take place, simple as that!

2020 will hopefully see SMMC become a Charitable Organisation and the work to get to that point progresses apace. Following good debate at the AGM the proposed Constitution has been fine-tuned and is now being presented to the Scottish Charities Regulator (OSCR) for consideration. Once we know more from them we will ensure every member is copied on the final detail before things hopefully proceed and we get this change put in place by early spring. Your Directors all remain confident this is going to be a good move for the Club and eagerly await its inception.

Your Committee get together every month and we still find meetings take about 3 hours to run their course. Some will say that's the sign of poor Chairing – I as you might expect would say it's because there's a lot to do! Our normal agenda includes many varied items including Club promotion, Club finances, the Motorsport Radio Group, Safeguarding, Membership issues, the SCIO, Rescue Units, Training, Social events (including the Club's 50th Anniversary celebrations) and more. As you will see it's a very varied programme and I just wanted to confirm that there is a lot goes on to maintain and improve the Club behind the scenes so please be assured we are working hard to ensure SMMC's profile remains in the ascendancy. I must also thank here my fellow Directors and Co-ordinators for the work they do day in and day out on behalf the Club. I can happily confirm your efforts are truly appreciated by many.

Many of you will know by now that our Governing Body has chosen the names of those who are going to sit on their various Boards, Advisory and Working Groups in 2020. I am delighted to confirm that Club Members, Jon Bolton, Graham Couser, Ron Cowan, John Harrington, Garry Headridge, Ben Shippey, David Swinton and Pete Weall will all feature on these which is good news for us all. Well done to all of you and good luck with your various endeavours during next year.

Merry Christmas then one and all and I look forward to meeting you in 2020 and also hearing from any of you who might like to know more about any of the points raised above.

Kindest regards
Nick