COVID-19 (Coronavirus) - Advice and Updates
LAST UPDATED - MONDAY 18 MAY
As everyone will be acutely aware, there is a heightened need to contain the transmission of COVID-19.
The situation is dynamic, and therefore we request that our community strictly follow Government advice and adopt sensible practical measures to minimise the opportunity for the spread of any virus.
It is a Motorsport UK requirement that Clubs and Organisers must appoint a COVID-19 Officer to ensure compliance with any relevant guidelines.
- Our COVID-19 Officer is James Short - email firstname.lastname@example.org
News and Updates
These updates relate primarily to events that SMMC members are involved in - but there will be many other motorsport events that have been postponed or cancelled.
Monday 18 May 2020
- Motorsport UK today has announced plans as to how it proposes restarting motorsport across its eleven sporting disciplines. More information.
Saturday 4 April 2020
- The Condor MSC Memorial Garden Stages Rally scheduled for 25 July has been cancelled.
Monday 30 March 2020
- The Scottish Government is launching a national campaign in a bid to recruit an army of volunteers to help tackle the coronavirus pandemic. Volunteers could be asked to support the NHS, other public services and established charities, and will be matched to the needs of their local community.
Sunday 29 March 2020
- The Rally Marshals Training scheduled for Saturday 4 April in Duns has been moved to an online webinar, starting at 9.30am.
Wednesday 25 March 2020
- The Bo’ness Revival Hill Climb, scheduled for the weekend of 5th/6th September, has been cancelled.
- Tyneside Stages Rally, scheduled for Sunday 2nd August, has been cancelled.
- The MACH 1 Stages Rally, scheduled for 11th & 12th July, has been cancelled.
Tuesday 24 March 2020
- The 2020 KNC Groundworks Ltd Scottish Rally Championship has been cancelled.
- The Doune Hill Climb in June is cancelled.
- Motorsport UK has today extended its suspension of all organising permits and Certificates of Exemption for motorsport events until at least 30th June.
Monday 23 March 2020
- The Coast 2 Coast Rally, due to run on 25th July, has been cancelled.
- The RSAC Scottish Rally scheduled for 6 June has been cancelled.
- In the context of a rapidly evolving understanding of the scale and impact of the virus, it is being suggested that our lives will be changed for many weeks if not months, and we need to plan for that eventuality. Hugh Chambers, CEO of Motorsport UK highlights five areas on which we should concentrate.
Sunday 22 March 2020
- Knockhill have announced a total shutdown - all activities have been stopped for an initial period of 2 weeks, commencing today.
- Lothian Car Club is suspending all motor sport activity with immediate effect until further notice, this now means the cancellation of the Doune Classic Hill Climb on 23/24 May.
Saturday 21 March 2020
Thursday 19 March 2020
- Some good news amongst the gloom and doom... The majority of Formula1 teams are working with government and health authorities to use their engineering facilities to boost production and increase the supply of ventilators during the coronavirus crisis.
Wednesday 18 March 2020
- Grampian Automobile Club have cancelled the Fintray Hill Climb that was scheduled for 16/17th May 2020.
Tuesday 17 March 2020
- The Greenpower Education Trust race at East Fortune Airfield on 27 March has been cancelled.
- The Doune Hill Climbs on 18th and 19th April have been cancelled.
- The Emergency Services Show at the Helix in Falkirk on Wednesday 8th April has been cancelled.
- Motorsport UK has announced that it is suspending all organising permits and Certificates of Exemption until at least 30th April 2020. This suspension follows the latest guidance issued by the UK Government in response to the outbreak of COVID-19. This position will be constantly reviewed given prevailing information.
- Condor MSC have cancelled the Annabelle Tennant Memorial Stages Rally scheduled for 4th April.
- The Jim Clark Rally scheduled to take place over the weekend of 29-31 May 2020 has been cancelled.
- The Granite @ Leuchars Stages and Granite Junior Stages due to be held on 2nd May 2020 have been cancelled.
- Grampian Karting Club have cancelled their race on Sunday 12th April at Boyndie race circuit.
- The Rally Marshals Training Day on Saturday 4th April in Duns has been cancelled
- The DCC Stages and DCC Junior Stages due to be held on 28th and 29th March 2020 have been postponed.
Monday 16 March 2020
- The UK Government briefed the media in respect of the COVID-19 pandemic. In light of this, Motorsport UK is awaiting further clarification from the Government's Department of Culture Media and Sport as to the implications for motorsport in the UK and will provide a briefing as soon as they have further clarity. This is anticipated within the next 48 hours.
- The AGM and OGM for the Scottish Association of Motor Sports Club on 17 March in Stirling has been postponed. Contact Peter Weall for information: email@example.com
- The seminar for Club Officials and Event Organisers being run by Motorsport UK on 21 March in Dunblane has been cancelled. Contact James Betchley for information: James.Betchley@motorsportuk.org
- The 2020 McDonald & Munro Speyside Stages Rally, due to be held on Saturday 18th April, has been cancelled.
- All competitive sporting events at Knockhill Circuit in April and May have been postponed and will be rescheduled later in the year. Non-competitive sporting activities (karting, corporate days, experience days, track days, testing) are continuing as scheduled.
- Postponement of SMRC Race Meetings - the first two events of the 2020 Scottish Motor Racing Championship, which were scheduled to take place at Knockhill on Sunday 5th April and Sunday 3rd May have been postponed.
Sunday 15 March 2020
- ‘Coronavirus (COVID-19): advice to organisers on mass events’ has been issued by the Scottish Government. This guidance on large gatherings remains in place until such time as further guidance is issued. There is no impact from this guidance on other routine activities such as school, travel and work.
Friday 13 March 2020
- Knockhill customer and competitor announcement
- SMMC Motorsport Radio Group - Annual Get Together on Monday 16 March is cancelled
- UPDATED – Motorsport UK COVID-19 advice to UK motorsport community
Tuesday 10 March 2020
No undue peer pressure should be put on organisers or volunteers to support a cancelled or postponed event against the organiser’s judgement.
Protect Yourself and Others
Find out how to protect yourself and others from coronavirus. Learn more at nhsinform.scot/coronavirus
You can reduce your risk of getting and spreading the infection by:
- avoiding direct hand contact with your eyes, nose and mouth
- maintaining good hand hygiene - wash your hands regularly with soap and water or alcohol hand sanitiser before eating and drinking, and after coughing, sneezing and going to the toilet
- avoiding direct contact with people that have a respiratory illness and avoiding using their personal items such as their mobile phone
- covering your nose and mouth when coughing or sneezing with disposable tissues and disposing of them in the nearest waste bin after use
- Scottish Government website about Coronavirus in Scotland
- NHS Inform - public health advice about Coronavirus (COVID-19)
- Coronavirus (COVID-19): UK government response
- NHS information about how coronavirus is spread and how to avoid catching or spreading germs.
- Resuscitation Council UK Statement on COVID-19 in relation to CPR and resuscitation in first aid and community settings
If you have symptoms of COVID-19, follow the guidance at nhsinform.scot/coronavirus
If you don't have symptoms and are looking for general information and advice, phone the free helpline on 0800 028 2816