SMMC News

"I would have been a much more popular World Champion if I had always said what people wanted to hear."

Picture of SMMC Admin
"I would have been a much more popular World Champion if I had always said what people wanted to hear."
by SMMC Admin - Monday, 20 June 2022, 10:18 AM

We were absolutely delighted when three-time FIA Formula 1 Drivers’ World Champion Sir Jackie Stewart OBE made a point of coming over to speak to the Rescue Unit crew and members of the SMMC Committee yesterday afternoon along with Club President, David Swinton.

What a weekend! All motorsport events are exciting and great to be involved in, but this weekend saw the inaugural Sir Jackie Stewart Classic Festival of Motoring at Thirlestane Castle in Lauder.

The classic car show had over 1,200 Veteran, Vintage and Classic Cars, Motorcycles, American Cars, Commercial, Agricultural and Military Vehicles on show– and we were able to showcase Scottish Motorsport Marshals Club and the important role that marshals and safety teams play, with several Club members volunteering at our PR stand in the main exhibition area.

A sprint of heritage cars up the drive of Thirlestane Castle was organised by our friends at the Scottish Motor Racing Club and we supported that with Motorsport Rescue Units and paramedics.

We were absolutely delighted when three-time FIA Formula 1 Drivers’ World Champion Sir Jackie Stewart OBE made a point of coming over to speak to the Rescue Unit crew and members of the SMMC Committee yesterday afternoon along with Club President, David Swinton.

Sir Jackie is well versed in rescue, medical and safety services in motorsport and wanted to know more about the setup of our Rescue Units and how our team prepared for incidents. He has been an outspoken advocate for the improvement of safety in motor sport for many years. He was instrumental in establishing better medical facilities and rescue teams following a crash during the Belgian Grand Prix in 1966 where he found himself upside down, trapped in his car by the steering wheel, with fuel pouring around him, for 25 minutes. Two other drivers had to free him using tools from a spectator. There were no crews to extricate drivers from damaged cars, and there were no medical facilities on track. He immediately started to campaign vigorously for improved standards, with considerable success. He was an advisor to the Scottish Government's 'Motor Sport Safety Review' group which was launched after serious incidents in 2013 and 2014.

Speaking at in interview in 1993, he said, "If I have any legacy to leave the sport, I hope it will be seen to be an area of safety because when I arrived in Grand Prix racing so-called precautions and safety measures were diabolical." This short 8-minute video where he explains his views on safety will leave you in no doubt about the lasting impact that this legendary driver has made on the sport:

It was an honour to meet you Sir, and thank you for signing our Rescue Unit Log Book 😁